7.10.2007
the search for the perfect chai
I'm a chai lover. 99% of the time, when I'm in a coffee shop, I'm ordering chai. I do love coffee, but ever since I swore off caffeine during pregnancy, I'm super-sensitive to caffeine and I try to avoid heavy amounts of it. So I've refocused my energies on teas, and chai is one of my favorite ways to get a glass of milk in. I've recently tried to get away from frequent trips to the coffee shop since they really add up in the pocket book, and it's also a pain to lug Jack out of the house just for a tea. So I've been buying chai mixes. We shop at Hy-Vee (you know, gotta love the hand that feeds you, sort of a thing) and the Health Market Area at Hy-Vee sells Oregon Chai liquid mixes--Organic black, caffeine-free red, and "slighty sweet." I've tried them all, but am not completely satisfied. The regular black is too sweet (like warm milk with a scoop of sugar), the caffeine-free red is fairly spicy but still too sweet, and the "slightly sweet" is not sweet enough--just like warm milk with a dab of honey. Back in the days when I worked at the Dutch Chocolate Shop, Chocolaterie Stam, we sold Pacific Chai powder mix. It was fine, but the powder didn't seem to ever completely dissolve into the milk. Our local tea spot downtown in the East Village (yes, Des Moines has an East Village, and no--it's nothing like the real East Village), Gong Fu Tea, sells a couple nice varieties of powdered chai, though also a bit on the sweet side. So I'm wondering if any of you fellow chai lovers out there have suggestions on good brands to try, or ways to make homemade chai? I could probably do a google search, but figured I'd start with friends first. I'm looking for a brand I can buy to make at home for the perfect, spicy, sweet but not too sugary chai. I love the chai options at one of my favorite local coffee shops, Java G's. They have four types: Himalyan (a spicy, cardamon laced chai), Kashmir (almond and spices), Sri Lankan (orange and cinnamon), and the herbal World Peace Chai (rose hips, peppermint, and other spices). I haven't found any brands to buy that offer choices like that, but I'd like to. Hmm, never thought I could write this long of a post just on the topic of chai :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi there,
I DO have a recipe for homemade chai but it makes about a gallon of chai concentrate (to which you add 1 gallon of milk). Perhaps you could find a way to scale it down? E-mail me for details.
Samantha
as a follow-up, i have discovered that oregon chai's kashmir, almond/green tea mix is quite better than the others. i'm sticking with that for now...
Well, I am a fanatic tea drinker. I usually go with the Oregon Chai and mix it with regular black tea to taste.
Post a Comment