5.19.2008

and then there were...(gasp)...3

Mike went back to work today, and I managed to survive my first day alone with both children. There were some meltdowns on the part of each boy, but it was manageable. Ben seems to have caught the cold Jack is currently sporting, so he's on the crabby side. We were able to keep Jack so pristinely healthy for so long when he was an infant, but I have a feeling Benj won't be so lucky since Jack will now be sharing those big kid germs. 2nd child syndrome, I guess.

It's so fun seeing how different Benjamin is from Jack. I can't see any personality differences yet, of course, but little things still appear. Even in the ways they handle babyhood. Benj eats short and sweet, usually 5-10 minutes, while Jack's feedings were hour long processes where I could get comfortable with a book and relax. I suppose it's good they are how they are, since I couldn't take that time now for Ben. Ben also provided me with a first experience in parenthood for me: he managed to projectile poop on me yesterday morning; something Jack never did. I've experienced projectile vomiting, but this was a first for poop. Up my entire arm, onto my exposed breast (feeding time), on the pillows, comforter, and the wall that was a good 5 ft. behind me. I was SO glad that was Mike's last day home with us, so he could watch them while I showered. I'd be fine not repeating that experience, and yet it's amazing how much patience and tolerance we have when it comes to our kids--especially when normally we would find something repulsive; with our kids, it's tolerable.

We took the boys to the farmer's market downtown on Saturday morning and had a great time. It gets bigger and busier every year, but never fails to be a good place for seeing dogs, kids, and pregnant women. We usually go for the culinary adventures that fill our tummies, but we also left this time with a bottle of local wine. The only Iowa winery whose wine I can tolerate is Jasper Winery, and we found a good $20 bottle of a reserve red to bring home for our anniversary on Sunday. My friend Bridget had sent me a cute little onesie for Ben from CA that I thought was perfect for the farmer's market:


I love this little guy!

No comments: