7.05.2008

2 parades, 3 bags of tootsie rolls, 1 giant baby

Happy holiday weekend everyone. Hope you are being merry and all. Thursday was merry for us as we went to the WDM city parade. It can be summed up in this way: fire trucks, politicians, and tootsie rolls.




Then came Friday, the 4th of July. Mike and I aren't exactly the flag-waving type, but I'm a sucker for kids in festive clothing




We spent the day in Osceola with Mike's partents, grandma, aunt and uncle, and brother's family. Good food and company, a parade, a talent show, and carnival rids. And a footlong corndog I shouldn't have ate but enjoyed anyway. The Osceola parade can be summed up like this: tractors, horses, fire trucks, and tootsie rolls.





It was a long, good, beautiful day. We were worn out from the sun and didn't make it to fireworks that night. But the sound of the festivities woke Jack up, so we watched the end of the WDM fireworks show from the comfort of Benjamin's window. The show ended at 9:35pm and we went to bed at 9:45pm. Party Animals.

In other news, Thursday was Ben's 2-month birthday and he celebrated with a trip to the pediatrician. Instead of a percentile for weight, he received an "UP" arrow, indicating that he is indeed off the charts, thus theoretically 100% of other 2-month-old babies are smaller than he. He's now at 15 lbs 6 oz. Well, he was on Thursday. Probably more now. He's half of Jack's current weight. And 95% for height. But only 25% for head circumference. Pinhead? I hope not. I tortured myself for weeks on end leading up to this wellness check, since it would be the beginning of his vaccinations. I read "The Vaccine Book" to educate myself on vaccine controversies, and got concerned over the lack of research on the amount of aluminum in vaccines. I threw around the idea of asking for a spaced out vaccine schedule, but in the end wasn't commited enough to through a fit trying to get it. So I went ahead with vaccinations as scheduled. Pray that he doesn't have long-term aluminum toxicity from brain build-up. Sheesh. As my friend Samantha said, "Add this to the list of things parents have to worry about."

Monday morning I'll be mailing my adviser the first set of pages of my dissertation for her to see what I'm doing. I won't have near the quantity she'd like to see (probably 15-20 pages, but she's hoping for about 50-75) but it's something, I guess. Wish me luck on that!

One final note. If you or anyone you love is considering being in a parade in the future, please, for the love of god, do not throw out tootsie rolls. That is apparently the candy of choice for paraders these days, and I have to say, they just aren't that loved. Opt for, I don't know, rubber balls purchased at the $1 store (wouldn't it be fun watching kids dive after those as they bounce down the street?), or some other type of candy... but just not tootsie rolls. Or god forbid, their horrible cousin, "frooties," fruit-flavored tootsie rolls.

1 comment:

sarah90046 said...

Sounds like a good holiday :) I will be thinking about you on Monday as you head to the post office. I am very proud of you for rising to the challenge of churning out pages upon demand. Way to go, Bran! I hope you allow yourself a day to feel good about your progress. xo, sarah