1.07.2009

Hey Look, it's a Graduate Student!

These days, our basement (i.e., my writing lair) looks like this:



Believe it or not, those piles do constitute a form of organized chaos. You can't tell, but on top of each pile of notes/articles/fieldnotes/interviews sits a marker telling me the topic of each pile. I guess it's a lazy (wo)man's filing system. Over the computer are some inspirational quotes I took out of "Destination Dissertation." I will admit, you can see in the photo that my dissertation is NOT what's on the screen...but it is sometimes, I promise.

The rest of the room? Not *exactly* organized....

But I guess this is the reality of finishing a dissertation while staying home with children. The only thing missing (besides a good proximity to the UI libraries) are my supportive and trusted colleagues and friends. Sarah, Lexi, Carrie, Samantha, Jon, Kenda.... I can't tell you how much I'd love to find a way to beam you all into my lair and share coffee and a few hours of conversation. I'm confident you would be able to help remind me that 1) I like anthropology and 2) I can do anthropology. Then I could get motivated to really plug away. But alas, no can do. So I'm trying to do it on my own.

I bought myself a gift certificate for a massage today, and hung it up on the fridge. Now I can stare at it every day until I send a full chapter draft to VRD. THEN I'll schedule it. Small incentives. I have a big incentive for finishing a whole draft-- Mike and I agreed that once I graduate, I can choose a destination for us to vacation to. Most likely it would be next spring or summer, assuming I graduate in December of this year. I'm thinking California.... :)

3 comments:

Beehave said...

those piles look familiar!

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures. It seems like you have a fun and full life. Ben is already puching up to his hands and knees? Shelby hasn't strated to do that yet, but we may be close. We think she is going to skip the crawling and move to the walking. kelly

Katie said...

I know I sound like a dork, but seeing those piles makes me miss school a little....but not enough to go back....