7.01.2009

guilty pleasures

i'm calling on all readers to please leave a comment to this post. i'd really love to hear about your guilty pleasures. i'm thinking that it might be really interesting to learn some little-known tidbits about you all, who i think i know :) anyone out there sneak a read of trashy romance novels on occasion? do you stay at work an hour later just to glean time to check your email or read a chapter of fiction before heading home to your families? are you absolutely obsessed with keeping on news about brittney spears? soap operas? please, share.

the only guilty pleasures i seem to come up with for myself are all food-related. food itself could be my biggest guilty pleasure. i've been known to grab a bag of chocolate chips when my sweet tooth strikes, and just sit down with it and munch away. portion control? not a chance. i also love, love, love raw onions. i will sit down with a sliced raw onion, a pile of salt, and go to town. mike HATES this. he claims my body process onions strangely, and it will stay on my breath for days. honestly, i'll have a few onion slices on a sandwich at lunch, and when he comes home in the evening, after 2 minutes of chatting, he'll say, "Did you eat onions today?"

I also own every single volume of all 9 seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond, and all 10 seasons of Friends. perhaps i should also add the guilty pleasure of paying a nanny to watch my kids so i can work on my dissertation, and then basking in the freedom by writing emails/facebook or blogging.

6 comments:

Jacalyn said...

I've got to admit a guilty obsession to icanhascheezburger.com. It's just a simple little happy that I sneak a look at now and then. And ice cream...despite dieting, I can't escape it. Especially now that it's hot out, it's almost an obsession. Jaci

sarah90046 said...

"Twilight" -- not in an obsessed, I-am-moving-to-Forks, WA kind of way, but I did read all the books. Oprah, but I argue she is useful for keeping a finger on the pulse of America. Pop music (we're talking Clear Channel/top 40), especially on the radio in the car. Then there are: yarn, art, and cookbooks. I am not typically "guilty" regarding these, but they are a weakness, and now that I have to move them I am becoming aware of my, er, collection.

stephanie said...

OK, I'm with you on this one. . . SWEETS!!! When Jaxson goes down for his nap, I eat a whole sleeve of oreos, which is 14 in case you were wondering. Then I talk myself out of cleaning and lay on the couch and watch Oprah or Ellen.

carrie said...

my biggest guilty pleasure used to be MTV/VH1 reality shows (especially "the real world" and all spin-offs plus "the hills") but when we downgraded our dish network package to save hundreds per year, these channels went away. now, i guess it's mostly food related. to be clear, i don't feel the least bit guilty about a mid-afternoon dish of ice cream, but *did* feel a touch bad about my sit-down with a carton and a spoon last night at 10:00.

carrie said...

okay, one more, which i'm engaging in right now! when E wakes up from her nap, i let hang out and talk to herself in her crib as long as she's content. sometimes this can be 30 minutes. this time is often spent doing something productive (working, laundry, emptying the dishwasher), but can also be spent facebooking, reading blogs, talking on the phone, finishing an episode of "mad men", etc.

LexiLovesPolyester said...

brandy - great idea.

in no particular order:
1. double stuff oreos, which i think are far superior to single stuff.
2. reading blogs and emails before work ever gets started
3. any fruit or vegetable that is able to be absent-mindedly shoved in my head - i decide its "ok" because they're healthy, but not when you eat it by the kilo. examples: tomatoes, grapes, blueberries (by the container), raspberries, broccoli, green beans, etc.
4. any television show with "law and order" in the title.
5. buying stationary. even though i have more than i can use, i'm always on the look out for adorable stationary.
6. on that note, buying typewriters, which means i give typewriters away all the time.
7. picking up furniture or bikes on the street. really. i'm always convinced i need that table, or i can refinish that cabinet, or someone i know needs that bike.