12.18.2009

Sigh.

I had a much needed, very sweet visit from my friend Bridget last week. Who could've predicted ten years ago that our visits would be about staying indoors, entertaining kids, and catching up over a period of five days between constant but little interruptions? It was so nice to have her here for an extended time with no concrete plans, and really get to just hang out and be together. It was definitely good for my soul.

Now I find myself one week away from Christmas and doing last minute, online shopping. I'm all for shopping locally, but some things are easier and cheaper online. I've discovered Etsy as my trade-off site: I'm buying from independent sellers, but with the realization that online buying leaves a carbon footprint. Seriously, though, as a non-crafty person in awe of all things crafty, this site is fabulous. I ordered some earrings for my mother that contain the boys' three birthstones inside a sterling silver "peapod", and a customized crochet hat for my dad. My mother informed me that he has such a big head that he has trouble finding winter hats, and he still uses the same two he had in HIGHSCHOOL. How many other 53-yr-olds do you know that can make that same claim? Sheesh.

The dissertation is still my achiles heel. I haven't the motivation to care about it. But I must, must, must. I'm thinking I'll work the whole weekend after Christmas, since Mike can watch all 3 boys. Let's hope I can accomplish lots in a weekend.



Our 3 little monsters:

No comments: