2.06.2011

Fun all around

My fabulous girlfriends (who I once called "neighbors & friends," but now only one of which continues with that title) took me out for a girl's dinner out in celebration of my completed dissertation draft. If I knew I'd get that kind of treatment for finishing this thing, maybe I'd have done it sooner?? :) We went to Dos Rios for margaritas and guacamole and good times.






It was definitely a nice night out. And I'm sorry, Steph, but the jalepeno margaritas are the bomb. No argument ;)

On Saturday I went out to the house for the first time in weeks. It was fun to walk through it after not having been there for so long since so much had changed. It's really starting to get a more "finished" look to it, although we still have a long way to go. Just one more month...just one more month... just one more month. That's my mantra. I took some photos of the fun things that have happened since I was last there. It's fun to see our future home take shape.

There are a lot of surprises along the way when building a home, we've learned. Our builder informed us that we got an unexpected upgrade when they delivered a much bigger gas fireplace than we were supposed to have. While I welcome any free upgrades they want to throw our way, I realized upon visiting the house that it's so big it means we won't get the stonework we had planned for (an arched stone design above the fireplace to match the curved entryways on the first floor of the house). Whatever, at this point I just shrug my shoulders when things don't go according to plan. In the end those details won't matter and we'll be happy with it regardless.







One of the customized changes we made to the house was to add built-in shelving to the side of the stairway right where you walk in the front door. It won't be super deep so probaby won't hold lots of larger books, but I thought it would be fun to have a spot for family photos and odds and ends. Especially since I'm not much of a decorator, so the more that's already "built in" to the walls, the better :)


This is the office/den. Otherwise known as, play room.


Unfinished lockers in the mudroom off the garage.


Tiling has begun in the master bathroom


I took this photo because it cracked me up to see Oxyclean is what they use to clean up mistakes while tiling. That stuff is amazing.


Jack and Jill bath has tile (otherwise known as the Jack and Benj bath)


The closer we get, the more excited I get.

Today while the boys enjoy the Superbowl, I'll be diligently working on my revisions to my diss. draft. My adviser has sent back 216 pages so far and the rest is in the mail. So far, so good!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW, the house is lookin' great!!! Can't wait to see it!

Stephanie said...

OH and I forgot. . . my Oaxaca Punch would kick your jalapeno marg. in the ass :)