12.26.2012

An East Coast Getaway

I'm sure if there were demerits for blog neglection, I'd get a medal :) So here are some fast and fancy updates in a row from my end of the world. I have to say that when I'm not blogging, I'm also not reading others' blogs. So I feel so out of touch with all of you! Once I do a little noting here, I look forward to perusing the rest of your blog worlds and learning about the news in your corners of the world.

A couple weeks ago I finally got to take a trip out to the East Coast to visit my dear friend Alicia in her new New Jersey digs. As is typical of east coast life, I flew into Philly to go to New Jersey, and while there we spent a couple days in NYC. How I miss the short distances between awesome spaces that the east coast offers :)

Apparently my body is unable to view a vacation as anything other than time to fall to its vulnerability to all the germs I'm exposed to on a daily basis, but am usually too busy to deal with. Just like in Vegas, my throat began hurting on the plane. It got progressively worse, and as in Vegas, I began my quick descension into strep throat. But this time it was epic. Alicia took a photo, but I'll save you from the gross factor of looking at it. One trip to the CVS Minute Clinic was not enough, and after 24 hrs of penicillin I still had to go back for narcotic pain killers and steroids to decrease the swelling. Those suckers were purple and touching, and I was swallowing blood. Yummy.

So my time in New Jersey was spent mostly in the CVS waiting area, in pharmacies, and on Alicia's chair trying to swallow without tears. Luckily the codeine came through the afternoon of our train into the city, and I was able to begin eating again. Which is so super handy since nearly all of our "must do"s in NYC involved the copious eating of foods that withstand the test of time in my memory. I have to say that some were not as amazing as I remembered. Magnolia cupcakes? Eh. Kitchenette's bacon? Eh. But Alice's Tea Cup was every bit as darling and lovely as my memories offered, and sharing it with a life long friend made it so special. That makes memories of two life-long friends and Alice's.... priceless. We enjoyed pizza at Lombardi's, NYC's 1st pizzeria, and saw the 9/11 memorial and the construction of the new Freedom Towers. One of the things I enjoyed the most was a walk through Central Park, and of course seeing the Rockefeller Tree and all the holiday NYC glory. It was a great trip to see a great friend, who is also an amazing hostess. Thank you, Alicia, for everything! From the bottom of my heart. And tonsils.

Footprint of one of the old twin towers

Freedom Tower, lit up for the holidays

Lombardi's! Yum.

Rockefeller Tree

Skating.... one of the 3 rinks we saw on our visit, and each boasted a line that must have touted a wait of HOURS.



My first experience with the High Line, a renovated old rail line above the city (like an outdoor skywalk) in Chelsea. It was a nice walk with interesting architecture and landscaping interwoven all the way through. Sadly, dogs not allowed :( Think of all the walk-hungry pooches in that city!


Oooh, so much inspiration and not a stove in sight.

Chelsea Market.

Ah, Alice's. Not for the faint of carbs.


Leafless tress in the park.


No comments: