12.26.2012

New Year's Musings

2013 is quickly approaching, and the end of the year always brings about a fair amount of musing on the year that's coming to an end, and the one about to begin. For whatever reason, I feel much older at the end of this year than I did last year. When I write out the ages of my kiddos.... 6, 4, & 3, they seem much older. They are obviously still young, but this may be the first time I can say I have no "babies" at home, and it's a strange transition to move from parenting the super young to just plain old young. I also see 35 coming up and it causes some introspection on age and growth and goals and life.

I checked back on my blog posting from January of this year to see what my list of "to accomplish this year" items was at the time. Here's what I found:

January 2012

Numbers 2 & 4 did not get done. We talked ad nauseum about the will. It just didn't get sorted out yet. There seem to be no real answers on that one, still. As much as the big 10-yr anniversary trip was anticipated for us, in the end our parents still weren't really comfortable with us being gone an entire week and leaving the kids to them. I think we still need another year of growth for the boys before the grandparents may feel good about that one. On the other hand, we did have a magnificent weekend downtown in March and our short, interesting weekend in Vegas. #5 is definitely an ebb and a flow. Of #6, parts I and II were accomplished, but the Minnesota trip has been planned for spring break this March. Still, it's on the books so I count that as a win.

I'm pleased to see, though, the rest of the list was achieved! Only one of the noted books was actually read, but I did read a few others in place of those noted. I just finished "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and am both inspired and frustrated. Still trying to finish "Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature Deficit Disorder," and am getting close. "Parenting Beyond Belief" is next up.

A lot of what I said in January will carry over, as I work on getting to Farrells more often, continuing with my reading list, and keeping up the persistent struggle for balance. Some things are changed--or, at least, altered. I moved out of the book club and am now trying to get off the ground a small monthly family potluck. I feel less starved for time away and more even keel on the family/individual scale. I am really needing to get a good behavior chart made up for the boys, with clearly-depicted expectations and rewards/demerits. I'm having a hard time lately with discipline and consistency of threats vs. real consequences.

I don't have much of an itemized list for 2013, other than taking on a garden in the spring. 3 hours before the blizzard hit late last week, the beginning of our 12x5 ft. raised garden was started outside. It still needs the top boards to raise it up further, and the cow manure from my brother-in-law's farm. That will have to wait until the snow melts and it's warm enough to work with. But come springtime, I hope to not only look forward to our annual CSA membership but also some supplementation from our small garden venture. We were very happy with the canned applesauce and spaghetti sauce from last summer. Unfortunately the pasta sauce only made it till mid-December, so a goal for this year is to supplement with our own tomatoes to bulk up the pantry come winter.

I guess I also want to get around to some deep cleaning on the house. Without a pregnancy foreseen, I can't imagine I'll go through any major nesting phases to help me do this so maybe I need to declare it here with intent :) I do need to shop-vac the entire basement. Being unfinished, it never gets cleaned. Now the dust and hairballs are billowing across the floor down there like crazy. I also wouldn't mind shop-vacing between each of the wooden planks on our main level. It's crazy the stuff you can see between those boards. And as always, the master shower could use a good scrub down. Why is that one so hard?

Here's to also hoping that 2013 brings health for our family and all those around us, both near and far. My sister-in-law is fighting lymphoma for the third time and really needs to get some good news this time around. And above all, let 2013 find us peace. With no more innocent lives lost to anger gone astray, some light on the path to peace for those with unbearable heart break this year.


No comments: