7.09.2013

The little chemist

Benjamin has a new favorite activity, and that is making "experiments." He pulls out my big mixing bowls and goes through the pantry, spice cabinet, and refrigerator looking for ingredients for his experiments. This is exactly the kind of thing I want him to be doing, creatively and independently. And yet it is exactly the kind of thing that drives me mad. "No, you cannot use the organic yogurt in your experiment." "Truffle salt? Sorry, too expensive to be mixed with vinegar and baking soda." "NO!! Not the sea salt caramel!!" As much as I want to avoid telling him no when it comes to these types of exploration, the entire process is "Can I use this?" "No, try this." But I've whittled him down to the same 10 ingredients and I think he's getting bored. The kitchen and I are good buddies, and I work hard in that space. It's really not easy for me to give up the tools and materials that go into feeding us without a fight.

I do hope I have a budding Jamie Oliver on my hands so that all this experimentation with food comes to fruition in the future. Or a chemist that doesn't blow (too many) things up.

Today he got his brothers involved. It was one big master mess, but they really bonded over it. I believe the ingredients in their concoction today were corn starch, cinnamon, cocoa powder, flour, salt, water, vinegar, Tapatio hot sauce, ice, chocolate syrup, lemon juice and canola oil.


Uummm, yummy. Anyone want a taste?

No comments: