7.09.2014

Ledges & Iowa Arboretum with Great Aunt Gen

We've had some beautiful days this summer, and the boys and are making the most of them. We drove up to Boone this week and picked up Mike's Great Aunt Genevieve, and took her on a picnic to Ledges State Park. Unfortunately the lower levels of the park were closed due to flooding, but we still got to do some hiking and see some great sights.

The boys gave me a slight heart attack when they went ahead of Gen and I on the hiking trails, and I found them at the base of this giant ravine. They had climbed down the whole thing without a concern. Had I been with them, I surely would have told them they weren't allowed to. But once I saw that they had been able to do it, I was happy I wasn't there to stop them. It was a fun exploration for them, and a time when they got to test their own capabilities. 









Benji found more dead cicadas than he knew what to do with. Coming up out of their tunnels every 17 years, these cicadas are especially beautiful, with purple bodies and orangish lined wings. 



We started getting eaten alive by bugs, and decided to move onto the Iowa Arboretum. We searched out all the benches until we found the one that memorializes Mike's grandmother Joan, whose maiden name Gavin bears as a middle name. 
Aunt Gen and the boys on Grandma Joan McCall Haub's memorial bench

No comments: