11.22.2014

Desert Solitaire


My mom and I continue to attend the Polk County Conservation's monthly book club, and this month's book is Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. Written in 1968 about the author's experience as a seasonal park ranger a decade before that at Arches National Monument, some of his rants are a bit outdated for today's national parks visitor. But I'm finding his prose to be so enjoyable, and some of his observations to be profound. I particularly like the following paragraph:


I often find myself waxing poetic about how much I desire more silence in my life. The boys are just always so LOUD. But in reading this I realized that I don't actually want all sounds to cease, or to be left in deafening silence, but really I yearn for stillness. What an amazing thing to partake in, most especially in today's ever-connected, noisy world. 

No comments: