12.29.2014

Play date Central

It occurred to me today that my way of getting through long school breaks may be different than other parents....  

I start out, probably as all parents do, with a rosy vision of staying in our jammies all day, showed in, making cookies, playing games, and enjoying the lack of schedule. That dream always pops within a few hours, when they fight. And fight. And fight. 

All parents say their kids fight, but I am convinced mine fight more than others. I also assume all parents believe this, too. 

So rather than take them out to various locales, filled with other out-of-school kids, in crowds, with germs, and more noise... my m.o. is to host serial play dates. It's a win-win for all of us because my kids get to play with old friends who attend different schools that they don't see often anymore, or neighbors who don't get home until dark because their parents work late, etc. And while they entertain each other (*so I don't have to*), I can get stuff done around the house in relative peace. Not quiet, but relative peace. 

Saturday neighbor Shay came over for a good 4 hour play date
Sunday, neighbors Miles and Maggie came over for another 4 hour play date
Today I dropped Jack off at a friend's house for a play date, and offered to take two boys off the hands of a friend of mine who just had her third baby. Brody added into the ninja team well....
And Ryder was an all-around good sport the whole day.

Tomorrow, it's a Chuck-E-Cheese play date, New Year's Eve will be at the home of family friends, the Carlsons, New Year's with my parents for a belated Christmas celebration and Friday we'll host another play date with Benji's friend, Luke. After that, I'm proud to say, will be a slow weekend with Mike home and then SCHOOL starts again next Monday. {Sigh of Relief.}

No comments: