7.01.2008

Back in business

Our new camera arrived today! So far I'm loving it. Canon, I owe you one. I'm experimenting with a lot of the manual settings, which I have never done before, and am discovering a whole new world beyond the whole "automatic point and shoot" setting. While the boys were sleeping, I played around and Morphine was a very cooperative model.
Auto mode:

Manual mode with tweaked lighting:



What fun. The pets don't get much air time these days, so this was a treat for Morphine ;) If I could take a photo of the camera itself, I would (I'm way too lazy right now to find a mirror or look for a photo online). I happen to think it's the cutest little thing. It's a Canon SD1100 IS Digital Elph, so nice and tiny (slightly larger than my cell phone) and very lightweight. We got "bohemian brown" since pink, blue, gold, and silver all seemed to ugly or too boring. Mike was dead set against brown, but I won. It's a very chic color with burgundy undertones--what could be wrong with that? (Isn't it nice that our lives are so privileged that THESE are the things we concern ourselves with?)

Things here are chugging along. I have 8 pages of the diss. written. Not much, but more than before. I've gotten a lot organized and I at least feel I'm making progress. My adviser (yes, she's still my adviser. She was quite happy when I agreed to stop analyzing and start writing, just for her) is looking for quantity rather than quality right now, which is tough for me. But I'm trying. I do what I can, and I guess that's where I leave it.

I sent Jack's 2nd birthday party invites out today. Seven weeks in advance...there is some dissertation procrastination for you. It's a truck theme and I plan to *attempt* to make a truck-shaped cake. Given my history with cakes, I hold low expectations. I consider myself a fairly proficient, even good, cook. But cakes are not my strong point. Refer to the following photo for the proof (a peanut butter chocolate cake I surprised--and I do mean, surprised--Mike with one day back in May 2006):


Incidentally, I do better with pies...

although I have never figured out how to make two crusts meet and mold together so all the filling doesn't ooze out as it did in these pies. Suggestions? Anywho, back from my tangent. Point is, truck cake may look like a landfill, but I'm going to try. We are going to have a little water activity pool for the kids. Because I'm so camera happy right now, I even took a photo of the box:

We're going to grill again like last year, but at home this time so we have the option of air conditioning if it's super hot again. Should be fun. Can't believe he'll be two in just 7 weeks. Yikes. He's taking after me lately by eating spicy foods. He ate up this mint/currant/couscous salad I made the other day, and loves the Mexican chicken corn chowder we had last night (very spicy). He eats salsa when we are out at Mexican restaurants as much as everyone else at the table. I thank myself for eating all those homegrown jalepenos during pregnancy for the fact that I don't have to cook special, milder foods for him now :)

Benjamin will be 2-months-old in 2 days, and is following in Jack's footsteps at this age by simultaneously losing hair and gaining weight. He's probably over 15 lbs at this point, no joke. Here's a big old chubby smirk for you:

He's normally not quite so lumpy looking, but apparently the angle I chose for that photo beefed up the cheeks a bit. I thought it was cute enough for a post, though.
Off to watch "30 days" on FX (AWESOME show by Morgan Spurlock, "Super-sized" dude.) Expect more posts now that I've got a camera on hand again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Cool pool! We will definitely come now!

sarah90046 said...

I think your pies look great. I always just use a fork to press the edges together. It looks like you may have folded the edges over (towards the center), which keep filling off the bottom of your oven. A good thing. I little water or egg is always good for sealing up pastry too. I wish I could be there for the party. Maybe I'll have to eat cake from here.... xo