9.29.2008

come full circle

It's been a year now since we went through the difficult process of deciding whether or not to find Hawkeye a new home. When we decided at this time last year to keep him, we let down the sweet couple that was excited to take him in. I felt guilty, but I felt worse thinking that I'd regret giving up our dog. Now I've finally figured out that while it might be sad to give up a pet, if he'd be happier someplace else, then it's the right thing to do. So in the past year we've come to realize for real this time that Hawkeye gets less and less exercise and affection from us as we are busy with kids, and he deserves better. So again we have landed ourselves in the position of letting him go. Our friend down the street grew up on a farm in northern IA, and her brother is now running that farm (oh, well you all probably feel you know her from reading this blog-- Steph, aka, JAXSON'S MOM.) We took Hawkeye up to Brandon's farm yesterday to check it out and let the meet each other. He had a great time romping around off leash and getting mucked up. He sampled the local cuisine (not fit for description in a G-rated blog), and seemed to be fit for a farm. Brandon wants to train him to herd cattle, and I think that doing what he was bred to do will give him a purpose he's missing with us. So we've decided to let Brandon take him, and I'm trying to let go of all my "no one does a better job at pet ownership than me" hang ups. I am trying to get past my judgement that outdoor dogs can be happy and healthy, too (though I don't know if I'd be as keen on this arrangement if I didn't know Brandon lets the dogs come inside when it gets cold out.) So within the next week we'll probably take Hawkeye up again and this time he'll stay. It will be sad for me, but also a relief. I am hopeful that everyone ends up happier in the end.

Hawkeye gets acquainted with Brandon's red heeler, Butch


Jack and Jaxson enjoy farm livin



No comments: