1.23.2009

Bad Parent. Bad, bad, bad parent.

So I mentioned Benj started crawling. As with most babies, he started slow and was easy to catch. So we didn't hurry to put up the baby gate. I'm sure you know where this is going. We figured maybe this weekend it would go up, after we had people over last week and didn't have to teach everyone how to open and shut it and all that jazz (the way our home is set up, you'd have to go through the gate between the kitchen and family room everytime, and this gigantic gate always stumps people). So anyway, Benj got better at crawling this week. I went into the kitchen at one point to get something, leaving him in the living room playing with toys, and of course, that's the moment he chose to notice the stairs for the first time. I saw him going for them and I ran, but I got there 2 seconds too late. He crawled right off the top stair without hesitation, rolled down the 5 stairs to the TILE below. Could I have been more scared? He wasn't hurt and he didn't hit his head, but he was shaken up and I felt TERRIBLE. Mike put the baby gate up right then and there. Oh, what a close call. So, so scary. No more putting off the baby proofing. This kid is a danger to himself. He has pulled up on things now and fallen over (most recently a kid's storage chair that fell on him, the lid opened and pinched his fingers, and all the puzzles inside crashed out and onto him.) I can't keep up with this kid.

This is the new jail bird about 20 minutes after the incident:


Other than our child's near-death experience, we've had a good week. Yesterday it was 45 degrees and we go outside. Benjamin got to ride in the wagon with Jack for the first time. This was fun--maybe more for me, than them. I'm going to enjoy it--I'm sure there will come a day when two brothers facing each other in a wagon will not equal a good idea.





Jack's had some fun with the neighbors recently, too.
Ball tent with Jaxson:



Then fun with snowballs with Will:





And of course he had to try eating the snow. Which he continued to do for a good 10 minutes.

No comments: