2.02.2009

Bits and pieces

I just figured I should write a little update since it's been awhile. Uh, let's see. Highlights:

1) Benj will be 9-months-old tomorrow. He's finally starting to do solids, though still not whole-heartedly. He likes Cheerios, though. He has the cutest little cupie rooster tail that is always sticking up on top of his head. I just love it. He's at such a fun age. He's constantly saying "Ma ma ma" and "Ba pa ba pa" and other cute little baby babbles. He's got the sweetest little baby voice.


2) Jack has been enjoying the 50-degree weather by puddle stomping whenever possible. I finally decided he needed some rubber boots, so he and I went on a Target run yesterday to buy boots. Then we went on a mommy&Jack date to Caribou coffee. He was so well-behaved. He got to sit in the leather chair with his feet up on the bear ottoman. The coffee dudes gave him a cup of animal crackers and made sure our Hot Apple Blast wasn't too hot. Good times. I think these little one-on-one dates will have to continue happening with me and each of the kids as they grow. I don't want to lose that time even when our family is larger.

3) Mike and I got to enjoy a nice dinner out at a new restaurant in the downtown East Village called Alba. I'd heard good things, and wow, were they ever right. We took every single one of our server's recommendations on food, right down to dessert, and he was DEAD ON every time. I have not been that happy with a meal for a long time. My absolute favorite was the soup: a huge bowl, where the chef lined it with marshmallows sprinkled with cinnamon, then torched them so they melted into the bowl. Then he put diced sour apples at the bottom of the bowl, and the server poured piping hot butternut squash soup into it. I practically licked that bowl.

4) We are in the process of trying to find a nanny. Well, actually, we found one. We offered her the job. She's still deciding. It's killing me. She would be perfect. We need someone to work 8-4, 3 days a week. The part-time daycare for Jack isn't working well and Benj is so active now that I can't get much done even when I'm home with just him. I don't want him to go to daycare, so the nanny thing seems to make more sense. We interviewed 3 people and weren't comfortable with the first 2, but the third was so great we offered it to her right then. We should know by the end of the week.... I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed. This should make a big difference in my ability to get good progress made on the diss.

5) I've yet to hear back from my adviser on the chapter I sent her. Maybe this is good. Ignorance is bliss? In some ways I don't expect to hear back. We'll see.

No comments: