3.24.2012

Brandy's 34th Birthday

This was a very, very good birthday. I spent my last birthday at my grandmother's funeral. This one was far cheerier.

Dinner and drinks with Colleen



I planned a surprise weekend "away" (in a hotel in downtown Des Moines) for Mike over my birthday weekend. It was to celebrate his new job (!!!), and just to have a little downtime to reconnect as a couple. We went to see a friend try his hand at stand-up comedy for the very first time on Friday night, then stayed at the Hyatt Place downtown Friday and Saturday nights. We spent Saturday walking around downtown, visiting the sculpture gardens, reading at Ritual Cafe coffee shop, walking across the river to the East Village for sushi at Miyabi 9, walking around Gray's lake, and finally with a romantic dinner at Alba Restaurant. It was heavenly to have no schedule, no responsibilities, and plenty of sleep.

I bought some special shoes for the fun weekend


Dinner at Dos Rios Cantina before the comedy show



We were joined at dinner by Betsy and Scott, Leah and Nate (who were going to see Ben's comedy show at the Des Moines Social Club as well)



Saw many other friends at the DSM Social Club before the show (most of these women I knew through the Willowsong community)


Gray's lake



Alba


A really lame attempt at taking our own photo at the Temple for Performing Arts on Saturday night


On Sunday, my actual birthday, we went home to reclaim our children and to celebrate my birthday with my parents. My mom made a brunch for us, and then we enjoyed a Mochachino cake from Carefree Patisserie. Then we went to the zoo!








All in all, I am very blessed. And happy.

No comments: