Well. It's been a roller coaster the past several weeks. Our kids managed to stay pretty healthy over the winter and right through spring. When Mike started at Outcomes we got new health insurance, and ventured into our first HSA. At the time we figured, well, our kids rarely get sick so we should be fine. Karma. Since then, Jack got glasses, Benji now visits an ENT since his hearing has been fluctuating and we are watching to see if he needs tube, I will be getting my knee surgery in a little over a week, Gavin has one cavity and Jack has two (joy), and all three kids fell to a very nasty set of germs a few weeks ago that knocked them all out pretty severely.
Gavin got over his Hand, Foot, and Mouth and then Benji started *really* not hearing us. We made an appt. with the pediatrician and by the time we got there he had had fevers for several days and was miserable. A double ear infection and strep throat. He went on antibiotics. A day or so later, Jack was miserable. Dr. visit and antibiotics. Unfortunately all this illness meant our Father's Day Camping Trip was cancelled. Then Mike left for a work trip to Vegas. I think he left just in time to avoid the brunt of all the germs. I was fighting, fighting to avoid it. Jack started feeling better and then Gavin got hit. I had planned to visit Mike in Vegas (my first time) for the last weekend of his trip, so I ran myself ragged to get everything done so that I could go. Poor Gavin was sick right up to the moment I left. I felt bad leaving Mike's cousin with the boys, especially a very screaming Gavin! But Friday night came and I left.
My flight was delayed so I arrived in Vegas a little after 1am Iowa time. I was so exhausted I went right to sleep. I woke up the next morning with a terrible sore throat. The rest of my trip to Vegas was peppered with fevers, aches and pains, exhaustion, lots of ibuprofen, lots of naps, several hours of walking to find a walk-in clinic, antibiotics, and then, a flight home! In the end I was actually okay with having been sick on vacation. Mainly because 1) I could NOT have gotten the rest I needed at home, alone with three boys and also 2) I hated Vegas. Really, really not my kind of town.
Even so, there were moments of fun and I took photos! So here they are!
Mike's conference was at Cesar's Palace, so that's where we stayed. The pool was pretty amazing. It was also pretty populated! I found that if I didn't arrive by 9am, I had to fight for a chair :)
These cabanas were not cheap, but there were many. Truly did remind me of Roman opulence....
The boys have been in a big pirates phase in the past few months, so a visit to Treasure Island was an easy way to get them souvenirs to bring back
Seriously, this photo doesn't even show the entire NY, NY hotel! One hotel. I mean, the monstrosity of it all is unbelievable!!
The best part of the trip was when I took a good 800mg of ibuprofen to break my fever and drown my pain and attend Mike's conference closing ceremony. The food was provided (phew, after my $50 burger and fries from room service that afternoon, a free meal was much appreciated :) and was really, really good. I got to meet the girl he traveled to the conference with and another couple they had met that week. We all had fun watching Pat Benetar sing. Mike's iPhone didn't like the lighting, so the best photos we got are:
I swear that's Pat Benetar. It really is.
SushiSamba!
We went to see the Brad Garrett Comedy Club on Sunday night. No flash photography, and my camera didn't like to take photos without the flash. So here's Brad Garrett looking a little blurry and out of focus. Just a little.....
The Bellagio fountains were indeed a treat to watch.
We flew home together feeling very ready to be home. The next morning Jack promptly came into our room at 6am and lost his very first tooth!








2 comments:
What a crazy post! Hope you are all feeling better
Oh my goodness Brandy!! I don't even know what to say about all of that except I'm glad that everyone is better. That really stinks that you had to be sick while in Vegas. I'm jealous that you got to see Brad Garrett, I love him.
Post a Comment