12.29.2013

2014 Resolutions


  1. Complete the Master Conservationist program through Iowa State University & Polk County Conservation (already signed up! Runs April-May--woot! Because having degrees from Drake and University of Iowa aren't enough, I need to add something from ISU, too. Heh heh heh)
  2. I'd like to say that we'll complete a will this year, finally. But the intention is always there and the answers aren't clear. So it gets put off. Even so, I'll vocalize the intent. Again. 
  3. Keep gardening, keep reading, keep working on balancing technology & unplugged time. 
  4. Finally get our new discipline/incentive "ticket" program up and running for the kids. 
  5. Maybe tackle one--just one-- of the long-term projects that don't get much attention. Such as:
    1. organize all my iPhoto pictures that are in one giant lump of chaos on this computer (sigh)
    2. scan in my old physical photos that got saved from photo album pillaging 
    3. begin to create blog-to-books from this blog as a way of keeping this journal in hard copy for years to come
  6. Get back into running for physical exercise, even if not for racing. Because I have not been a runner since October 20th, when I ran 13.1 miles. No joke. Not even once. (See how I did okay with marathon goal/deadline, and then dropped it like a hot potato the second it was over?! {New Mantra: see this as a strength, see this as a strength, see this as a strength....})
  7. Work on being more affectionate with Jack. For whatever reason, I'm much harder on him than I am on the younger two. I get frustrated faster, and show less affection on a daily basis. I don't want him to feel like he has to work to earn it. I need to figure out why I have a shorter string with him, and really try to face that and get through it. 
I've been throwing around the idea of working toward a globally-minded resolution. The first thing that came to mind was a commitment to omit any goods made in China from our household purchases this coming year. It seems like it could be a *very* difficult endeavor, which is why I'm shying away. But it keeps resurfacing. No more inexpensive clothing from Target. No more purchases from Norwex! And it would bring about a host of slippery slope questions:
  • If a shirt is made in Cambodia or Thailand, is that better? Do I purchase it? 
  • Do we gently urge grandparents to observe this "rule" and refrain from buying the kids toys/gifts that were made in China? or is that a little too rigid (probably...)?
  • Is it possible to tell the difference between something made in China in a U.S.-owned, cheap labor factory or something that is legitimately made in China in a responsible way? 
  • This will require total due diligence, and also tons of research. And probably eye-opening discoveries. I wonder if it's even possible to know where all the ingredients of a certain item are coming from. So then how picky do we get here? 
An alternative I considered is trying to avoid all things made of plastic. Toys, household goods, even choosing bar soap over shower gel containers. This might be a tough one to stick to 100%, too. I already avoid using plastic bags at the grocery store, and try to choose wooden toys over plastic ones, or glass Pyrex containers over Tupperware-types. But 100% non-plastic would be a BIG shift, and a tricky one to stick with when we have kids who break things. A lot. 

I'm sure there are lots of bloggers out there who have taken on both of these challenges and I could probably do a search and find lots of answers right away. I'm not really a blog reader (ironic, since I keep my own), and I'd like to do much of this on my own for the point of the learning process. But I may have to do some digging and come to a decision. 

No comments: